I turned 29 on Saturday. I wasn't able to spend it with my blood family, but my brothers and sisters in Christ really made my birthday extremely special.
After some crazy celebrations, a sister asked me what was the point of having earthly desires if they hinder us from pursuing God's desires (my friends are all incredibly deep). I thought about the question and tried to explore the motivation behind it. For me, the question would perhaps arise out of the frustration of not having desires fulfilled or perhaps out of struggling with fulfilling desires in a sinful way. In a way, I am ashamed that I never even thought to ask this question - I always assumed that my desires were God-given and therefore good.
But now that the question has been posed, I feel compelled to seek my own answer. For me, I think the desires in my heart have always been placed there because I was created to worship God - my deepest longing has always been to be loved, and loved perfectly, and to love in return. And perhaps, out of this deep core desire, stem the smaller everyday desires of my life. I haven't yet quite worked out how the more base desires of my life (i.e. for comfort, for good food, etc...) can flow from my deep core desire. Perhaps part of being loved perfectly and to love in return requires good food, comfortable settings, etc... I mean, the wedding supper of the Lamb is going to be pretty perfect - but is it perfect because God is going to be there with us or is it because of the rich food, large table, and amazing setting? Maybe God's presence equals rich food and comfort.
God will reveal in His time. In the meantime, I want to thank Him for continuing to help me fulfill a ton of my desires. For helping me live a full life in Him and through Him.
Thank You for every good and perfect gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment