Monday, June 24, 2013

Comfort

Comfort and the familiar draw me away from God and into self-reliance and pride.

America is too comfortable for me.  In China, I have to rely on God on even the most basic of things - like clean air, clean water, safe food, etc...  These basic reminders of my necessity for the grace of God in my everyday life remind me that I must rely on His love and grace for my spiritual life as well.  

But in America, I get too comfortable.  Water from the tap is perfectly safe to drink, I never really have to worry about contaminated food, and the air I breathe doesn't hurt my lungs.  And if any of these problems ever arise, I think most Americans (including myself) would trust that the problems can be solved if enough money is thrown at them.  In short, the citizens of the wealthiest country in all of history do not appear to need to rely on God for their everyday life.

But I'm not comfortable in my comfort - I don't want to rely on myself.  I want to be dependent on His grace and provision in my everyday life and in my spiritual life.

Lord, I believe; help me in my unbelief.  





No comments:

Post a Comment