Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Meritocracy

I think successful people want to believe in meritocracy.  But only to the extent that it explains their success and achievements and offers them hope in attaining further success and achievement.  

I no longer think a true meritocracy exists (nor do I think I want it to exist).  I still think effort and talent may lead to achievements and success, but they definitely aren't predictors or guarantors of them.  On top of that, in a true meritocracy, we would get what we truly deserved (in a moral sense).  And I think, deep down inside me, I have always believed/understood that everyone deserves chastisement and punishment for falling short of perfection.  Because, in a way, if we are willing to forgive ourselves for not being perfect, then I think there really is no basis for any moral judgment of other people.  Everyone becomes their own judge of what is forgivable/permissible and each person's judgement becomes as valid as the next person's.  That's tantamount to saying that there are no agreed to standards.

Anyways... All this to say that I'm really grateful there is grace.  And true forgiveness for not being perfect - forgiveness from the only perfect person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment