Monday, August 12, 2013

Responsibility

I watched Roman Holiday last night - the classic Audrey Hepburn/Gregor Peck film.   

In the film, Anna, the princess, feels trapped by the sense of duty she owes to her country, her family, her people, etc... so she decides to run away from her country's embassy in Rome... only to return to her out of the same sense of duty. 

The whole film got me thinking about duty and responsibility - particularly on whether or not a person must fulfill their duties or whether a person can reject them.  And I don't know... I know I would never want to reject certain duties placed on me, but when it comes to others, I'm not so sure.  And sometimes different duties actually conflict! 

I know I owe my allegiance to the Highest King (LoTR reference!), so my life should only be committed to that one duty and responsibility.  Maybe God is teaching me what it means to be a slave to righteousness.  And maybe that's not such a bad thing.

But man, if I am to be honest, I feel like I really do want to rebel... to rebel only for rebellion's sake.  I need grace to obey.  More grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment